Monday, August 29, 2011

How to Spice Up Your Marriage

by Aleta Kay

After a few years of marriage, raising kids, and struggling to pay bills, my marriage counselor suggested I do something to spice up our marriage. I had always thought the husband (or whoever the primary bread-winner was) should take care of planning getaways and vacations. I didn’t have a clue what to do. How would I pay for something since I didn’t have an income of my own and Tom handled the checkbook?
We lived in West Virginia and there is a lot of history there. There are also many beautiful parks and many things to see and do. I went to the library and found some brochures. I found that Grand View State Park has an outdoor amphitheater that produces a few plays throughout the summer and fall season. Two of those plays have to do with West Virginia history–something we would both enjoy.
Our anniversary was coming up so I called the tourism office and got the price for dinner and the play for two. I found someone who was willing to watch the kids overnight. Then I looked at the checking account and figured I could write out the check at the grocery store for twenty dollars over each week for the next three weeks and that would be enough to cover everything. When I had the money saved, I let Tom know. It was the weekend before our anniversary. He was so excited and we had a great anniversary. The kids enjoyed staying with their cousins overnight. It was memorable and fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment