Monday, April 2, 2012

All Things Work Together For Good

by Aleta Kay

          There’s an old story that’s been circulating for quite a while now. I may not remember it exactly but it goes something like this:
          A neighbor stopped by to talk to farmer Joe one day. “Heard your tractor broke down, Joe. I’m sorry to hear it. You need any help?”
          “No, I don’t need any help,” Joe said. “My mule was pulling the tractor and he stumbled and broke his leg.”
          “Oh, that’s too bad,” the neighbor said.
          “No, that’s good,” farmer Joe said. “When the mule broke his leg my boy fell and broke his arm.”
          “Aw, I’m sorry to hear that. That’s too bad, Joe.”
          “No, that’s good,” Joe replied.
          The neighbor scratched his head and said, “I don’t understand. How can you say all that’s good?”
          “Well, it’s like this,” Joe said. “If my mule hadn’t broke his leg, the tractor wouldn’t have broke down. If those two things hadn’t happened my boy wouldn’t have broken his arm. If he hadn’t broken his arm the army would have taken him and he’d be in a war zone now.” All things work together for good to those who love the Lord and are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28

          I just lost my job after five years of trying to please the company. Now don’t get me wrong. The company I worked for was great. The benefits were great. They bend over backwards to try to help you succeed at this job. And they do a lot for their employees. But I’m 60 years old and don’t work as fast as I used to. I’m not good at multi-tasking and my memory chip is about full so I don’t memorize as good as I did when I was 20. It was a high-pressure job.
          Some of my co-workers have called and asked if I’m okay. I am thankful for their friendship and support. How am I doing? I’m ECSTATIC!!! I can get out and go for a walk every morning. I have time to speak to my neighbors. I can collect unemployment (at the company’s expense since they have to contribute the money to pay my unemployment benefits) while working at and learning what I have wanted to do all my life—write. I belong to LinkedIn with several writers groups there and am looking forward to finally having the time to read some of the posted information about marketing and promoting your work.
          I have made a schedule for myself to work at my writing and research every day except weekends. If I could keep a schedule at work, I can keep a schedule at home and work at what I love doing—writing. I have already written a children’s story, have an idea for another, and have written 6-8 pages on two novels I’m working on. I have more time to spend with church friends, keeping up with family, and I can tell anyone I want to about Jesus and not have to fear losing my job because of it. I work for the Lord now. Ye-hah!

No comments:

Post a Comment