Sunday, March 25, 2012

Do You Need An Attitude Adjustment

by Aleta Kay

         We’re human. We get angry. We get upset. We get discouraged, depressed, disgusted, and sometimes downright ugly in our attitudes. It starts in our minds, in the way we think. We allow ourselves to get upset, most of the time over little things.
         I teach young children in Sunday School. One of them is an eight-year-old boy who, for the last four weeks, has found things to pout and whine about. Now I’ve been teaching him since he was about three or four and I love him like my own grandson. But I refuse to tolerate his attitude. If I let him he’ll take up all the class time with his attitude. Two weeks ago he spent most of the class time sitting in the corner with his face to the wall. He didn’t get to participate in the singing and games we were having because of his attitude. I hugged him after class and reminded him that I loved him. I talked to him about his actions and had him think about the consequences of his attitude. I want him to understand that he is responsible for his attitude. Nobody makes you mad; you choose to be mad.
          Scripture tells us in Ephesians 4:23 “And be renewed in the spirit of your mind.” In other words, change the way you think.
          For example, if I am super tired when I go to bed, I snore. My snoring used to bother my husband and it would cause him to lose sleep. One night when it disturbed him the thought came to him that if I was snoring it meant I was getting a good night’s sleep. Now it doesn’t bother him anymore.
          Romans 12:2 says “And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind.” Don’t let the world tell you how you should think or what your attitudes should be. Allow the Word of God to help you change the way you think. It has helped many people over the years, including my husband and myself. So give it a try. What have you got to lose?

No comments:

Post a Comment