Friday, March 22, 2013

The Peace That Passes Understanding

So many people say they believe in God. Big deal. The Bible says the devil believes and trembles. Trust me: he isn't going to heaven to spend eternity with God. People say, "I can worship God at home or out on the boat. I don't have to go to church." Jesus told us not to forsake the assembling of ourselves together and He also said if we love Him we'll obey Him. He tells us to take our tithes and offerings to the local church. If you aren't going to church, you aren't tithing, thus supporting the cause of Christ. You are not participating in sending missionaries to other countries to tell people about God's love. You are being disobedient to your Lord.

If you truly believe in God, and have asked Him to be your Lord and Savior, you will not be afraid to die.

My father-in-law died at 4:05 this morning. He was a quiet man and never talked much about God or his faith. But he went to church faithfully until it became too difficult to go. When my husband sat with him in the nursing home yesterday, he (my husband) asked God for a sign that his dad was ready to go. It was a beautiful, cloudless day and the curtains beside the bed were open. Dad had not been opening his eyes much these last two weeks, and most times the last few days, when he did, his eyes were just slits. But yesterday, as Tom sat with him, he opened his eyes wide, looked out the window, looked directly at his son, and the peace that comes with knowing you're on your way to a better place spread across his face, and tears trickled down his cheek. He was saying goodbye to his son. We'll see him again when it's our turn to go.

John 14:27-29 says, "Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you: not as the world gives, give I unto you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid. You have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If you loved me, you would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I. And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, you might believe."

Phil. 4:7 says, "And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus." Do you have the peace that passes understanding? None of knows when God will call us home.

No comments:

Post a Comment