Monday, July 18, 2011

Look What the Lord Has Done!

by Aleta Kay

     As promised, here is my personal story (or some of it) of what God has done in my life.
    Let me start by saying I was not raised in a Christian home. We never even went to church until I was in high school, and then it was sporadic. I grew up believing I was the ugliest, dumbest thing God ever made. I know many other people who have also struggled with a poor self image and total lack of confidence. It is very difficult to overcome, but not impossible, because the Bible, God's word, says "With God all things are possible."
    All through high school I went to Methodist Youth Fellowship. I had a great time in my own backward way, but I never once heard that Jesus died on a cross for my sins. I didn't hear that until after I was married. (Something else I believed was out of reach for me until guys started to notice me in business school.)
    I met my wonderful husband while we were in business school. Neither one of us were Christians. I got pregnant and we got married. He joined the Coast Guard to provide a living for us. When he was due to get out of the Coast Guard they kept losing the paperwork for his out-processing physical. He sent our son and myself home to his family ahead of him, expecting to join us just a day or two later. He called every night, sounding more discouraged each time his release was delayed.
    While he was away his younger sister took me to a Billy Graham movie where the love of God was portrayed so clearly it broke my heart to realize the God of the universe loved me: worthless, unlovable, useless ME! Not only did He love me, He took the penalty for my sins, died on a cross, went to hell for my punishment, then rose again victorious to provide a place for me in heaven.
    The night I got saved (told Jesus I was sorry for my sins and asked Him to be my Lord and Savior and make me more like Him) I asked Him to let me know when my husband was coming home so I could have a special meal prepared. I dreamed I got a telegram in giant letters saying "Tom will be home on Friday." I went to the grocery store with my mother-in-law and purchased the foods I would need to prepare that meal. Not only did he come home on Friday; we had the house to ourselves. His parents were out and our son was in bed asleep. That was my first answer to prayer. I was so excited.
    Since then God has taken a marriage that was doomed to divorce, turned it around and made it better than we ever could have imagined. God has taken me, this little nobody, and has allowed me to live in West Germany for 2 1/2 years while Tom was in the army; He has allowed me to see Paris, France, tour around Holland, drive across Canada into Alaska during the summer of 2001, and take a caravan tour through Newfoundland in 2005. He has blessed us with two children and six grandchildren. He has allowed me to publish two novels, write for local newspapers, and now this blog where I have the freedom to tell others how wonderful He is.
    I almost forgot: God has taght me to like myself. I still struggle with low self-esteem sometimes, but I am a cherished wife, mother, and child of God. He can do the same and more for you. He wants to. He's just waiting for you to ask. He's a gentleman. He'll never force Himself on you. God bless.   

No comments:

Post a Comment